Prophet Muhammad (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallaam) used to drink honey mixed with cold water.
* This is very healthy, and prominent doctors know it.
* Drinking honey on an empty stomach dissolves phlegm, cleanses the stomach, reduces its viscosity, washes away waste matter, warms it up a little and opens its inlet and exit.
* It has a similar effect on the liver, kidneys and urethra.
* It is more beneficial for stomach than any other sweet.
* However, it may have side effects on people suffering from jaundice, because it is hot and it may aggravate jaundice. To avoid this, vinegar can be added, then honey will become beneficial and drinking it will be more useful than most drinks made from sugar.
* Honey is also very refreshing and energizing, and good for the liver and heart.
* If it is well-prepared, it helps nutrition reach all parts of the body.
* If honey is drunk warm, mixed with rose-water, it is beneficial for those who are bit by a scorpion or who have consumed opium.
* If fresh meat is placed in honey, it will stay fresh for three months, so will cucumbers, pumpkins and eggplants. Several fruits can be preserved in it for six months.
* It can also preserve a dead body.
* For those who complain of lice, applying honey will kill the lice and their eggs.
* Applying honey also nourishes the hair, making it long, beautiful and smooth.
* If used on the eyes like Kohl, it clears the vision.
* If the teeth are brushed with it, it whitens the teeth, makes them bright, and keeps the gums healthy.
* It also opens the veins and induces menstruation.
* Honey also has no side effects and causes little harm.
* Honey is not only a nourishment, but a medicine, a drink, and also a sweet.
* Ancient people relied on it, and in most books of the past, there is no mention of sugar at all, which was unknown to them. Sugar is something very new.
* The Prophet (peace be upon him) used to drink honey mixed with water on an empty stomach, and this is the secret of maintaining good health that no one can understand except those who are intelligent and blessed.
[Excepts From: Zaad Al-Ma’ad 4/224, 225 and 4/33, 34]
>>Imam Ibn Al-Qayyim Al-Jawziyyah, 691H (1292CE), 751H (1350CE), is a reputed scholar in Islamic history. Among his several popular books, The Prophetic Medicine which deals with the medical treatments of the Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallaam) is widely read even today. <<